Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Book Lovers

Today is National Book Lovers' Day! 
And in honor of such a day it only seems right to share some books I love. So if I were stranded on an island and there was a miraculous suitcase of books that washed on shore with me, these are the gems I'd hope to find:

A Tale of Two Cities


If you know the first and last lines and haven't yet please take time to read the middle.


Anne of Green Gables Series


The first time I ever cried reading a book  was at the end of this series. All of the characters are simply wonderful.


Crime and Punishment


This book is fascinating. The danger of putting yourself on a pedestal above God is perfectly depicted. This book reminds me of poor Saul in the Old Testament.

Death and Resurrection of the Beloved Son


If you are looking for a deeper Theological read, this is it. This book completely changed the way I read the Bible. 

Introduction to Christianity


Pope Benedict XVII is amazing! The Introduction to this book is noteworthy itself.

Jane Eyre


Dear reader, this is the source of that greeting for me. 


Little Women


I loved the film adaptations, but for some reason I couldn't get far in the book until I was an adult. I think the depth escaped me. Oddly enough, my favorite parts are those that didn't always make it into the films.
  

Love and Responsibility


If you enjoy philosophy, this book is right up your alley. The concepts in it are fundamental.


Persuasion 


This is my favorite Austen novel. The interior life of the characters is well developed and comes through in their actions.  


The Divine Comedy

It's not doctrine nor is it always theologically accurate and placing people you don't like in hell in a book that centuries later all people will really know about them is which circle of hell they're in is pretty brilliant revenge and unchristian to say the least, but the insights within are amazing. 

The Scarlet Letter

I know a lot of people were forced to read this and hate it, but what I took away from it in High School was something of beauty. The contrast of light and darkness in words is a work of art.

The Little Catechism of the Cure of Ars


I love quotes and this is simply a collection of quotes from this amazing preacher. They are simple and beautiful. I think the section on prayer is my favorite part. 

The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings

If you haven't noticed a theme, I have a thing for truth being shared through fiction...oh wait, that's what good literature does ;) 

The Jewish Study Bible

 
The commentary in this Bible is amazing. I think this might be the book I'd save from a fire which is ironic, because with my multiple moves in the past few years I seem to have misplaced mine. 


Winnie the Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner


These books give me all the warm-fuzzies. I don't know how many times I've been through them. My mom read them to us and then I read them on my own multiple times and I have already started reading them out loud to my boys. The wisdom of a bear of very little brain is humbling.

Dear reader, what books do you love?


Link up time!

Waltzing In Beauty


  Please remember your lovely posts will be shared on our thirteen blogs and we would love it if you would return the favor and link back to us (you can grab the button above).  By linking back you'll have the opportunity to be featured in our feature posts and Pinterest board here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love reading your thoughts! I respond mostly by e-mail so make sure you're not a no reply blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...