Tuesday, December 13, 2016

"Base-ic" Chicken Soup

It's that time of year full of happiness, cheer, sniffles and snuffles...or in our case, the plague. I pray you and your family do not get the stomach bug going around. Not going to lie, I cried myself to sleep wishing my mommy would come take care of us, only to wake to the horrible realization: I am the mommy! So like any good mom, as soon as I could stand, I made a comforting pot of chicken soup. I felt very much like supermom, complete with a secret weapon: my mommy on speed dial.


3 lbs skinless and boneless chicken breast
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 medium onion chopped
2 large garlic cloves minced
1 cup carrots chopped
1 cup celery chopped
2 cups frozen peas and/or mixed veggies
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Pepper to taste

In a large pot or Dutch oven brown the onions and garlic in coconut oil. 

Add vegetables, seasonings, broth, and chicken. Bring to a boil. 

Turn down to low and simmer covered for 30-40 minutes.

At this point the chicken should be cooked through and you have the choice to cut it into chunks or shred it. If my chicken isn't quite done I will cut it into chunks and cook it until it is cooked all the way through.


This soup is a great base. You can add noodles, rice, quinoa, etc. in a pinch. I like to serve it with biscuits and then combine the leftovers with another grain for another day. Leftover ravioli was last week's addition. Yum!







Waltzing In Beauty



  Please remember your lovely posts will be shared on our thirteen blogs and we would love it if you would return the favor and link back to us (you can grab the button above).  By linking back you'll have the opportunity to be featured in our feature posts and Pinterest board here







1 comment:

  1. I have never thought about putting ravioli into a soup. Is it hard to eat them with a spoon?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love reading your thoughts! I respond mostly by e-mail so make sure you're not a no reply blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...