We are almost to the half way mark of August! I can barely believe it. So I figure it was time for a quick check in on Joy-gust, my resolution of choosing and spreading joy this month.
1. Friends, it has been a challenge this month! Do you find that as soon as you make something a resolution it becomes twice as hard to do? Car problems, illness, set backs at work, everything taking thrice as long as you thought it would take...that has been my Joy-gust thus far. Part of this practice is to pick ourselves up each day and start anew without letting yesterday's failures drag us down. And that's what we aim to do today. Today...let's break it down even more...right now in this moment I choose joy.
2. Concrete goals (or something I can check off a list) are key in the success of resolutions for me. I took some time to sit down and write up some concrete things to do to choose and spread joy and it has helped immensely. I'll share some of them next week.
3. For this weekend I set some specific goals for each day that involve sharing my time and fostering some dear relationships. Since the wedding B and I have had a full plate which has left little room for community. We have some meals with friends planned and our parish picnic this weekend.
4. I set up a "Choose Joy" reminder on my phone to remind me halfway through my day to focus and get back on track if I've fallen off my path.
5. I also made a point when I realize that I have failed to apologize to those that were effected. It is very humbling, but a good reminder that my less than joyful attitude is putting myself before the good of others and it does take a toll on their day and their ability to be joyful as well.
So dear fellow commuter from this morning, I apologize for grumbling about your driving abilities.
6. I have noticed that a good night's rest is a key piece to the joyfulness of the morning routine (where most transgressions occur); an earlier bedtime will be instituted.
7. This quote is inspiring me to choose joy today: “A joyful heart is the normal result of a heart burning with love. She gives most who gives with joy.” ~ Mother Teresa
How has your Joy-gust been?
What are your tips for choosing joy each day?
Have a great weekend!
Linking up with This Ain't The Lyceum