Monday, May 27, 2013

In Remembrance

Today we remember the many lives that have been lost to keep this country safe and free. And I am reminded how very blessed I am to spend Memorial Day with my special veteran of the United States Army.


My grandfather served in France during World War II. It's hard to imagine the soft loving hands now wrinkled and formed by arthritis that I have been blessed to hold once carrying arms, driving the colonel's jeep in treacherous circumstances and completing the unwanted task of recording the names of the fallen.  

Today he remembers in a special way.  He never says a word, but I know deep in his heart he holds the memory of each name he typed as well as the unknown soldiers. As each year goes by and I face the horrible reality that one day  those hands will no longer hold mine, I become more grateful for the gift of life that the fallen have given me. They did not return so that my grandfather could and that I would have a home.  

Thank you to all the men and women serving in the armed forces and their families for their sacrifices for our country. 

To those that have made the ultimate sacrifice: I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love reading your thoughts! I respond mostly by e-mail so make sure you're not a no reply blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...