Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Questions of the Heart; Answers of Real Women Edition 7

Today is the second and final part of my exam for my masters degree in theology. It only seems fitting to have a special guest who shares my love for theology to talk about another favorite topic of true beauty. 

Lindsay and I met a few months ago in the bridal party of a dear mutual friend.  I knew she was amazing when her R.S.V.P.  for a bridal shower was impeccably written and signed "With Joy".  Her signature suits her so well; she is full of it!  She has a story for everything and cannot be beat in line dance knowledge. :)

It was so fun getting to know Lindsay throughout the wedding festivities and I am happy that we can continue our friendship via social media and now blogging.  I hope you enjoy her insight and get to know her over on her own corner of the web at Lindsay Loves.

Questions of the Heart; Answers of Real Women

By Lindsay



What makes a beautiful woman?

A beautiful woman radiates with joy. I sign all my cards and emails "with joy," because I honestly believe the joy of the Lord is what gets me through my days. Joy can manifest itself as confidence and peace. Sometimes I'm having a fantastic hair day. That makes me feel confident and attractive, which makes me joyful. Other times, I'm home sick with no makeup and a grumpy attitude, but if I can rest in that abiding joy, then I can still feel beautiful.

What makes you feel beautiful?

Good hair days, of course! I also feel beautiful when I create something beautiful through writing, fashion, or (rarely) visual art. And I feel beautiful when people compliment me on my clothes or hair. For the record, I also feel beautiful when people compliment my personality traits, but that kind of compliment doesn't come nearly as often—it can be awkward to work into conversation. I try to minimize awkwardness whenever possible.

What has had the greatest impact on how you view yourself and encouraged you to be yourself?

The support of my parents means a lot to me. I don't think I'm quite the person they expected me to be, but they've been supportive of the bold life choices I've made so far. Knowing that they're behind me is really encouraging. On a more superficial level, I participate in the What I Wore Sunday meme at Fine Linen and Purple (finelinenandpurple.com), which specifically helped me realize that I don't actually wear the same thing all the time. Even my fashion life has variety, and I have hard evidence of that.

What is your beauty go-to for the days when you feel anything but beautiful?

It's funny you should ask that. I was having an "ugly day" once, where I just didn't feel beautiful at all. I was walking through Target and stopped in the hair tools aisle. I noticed a bright blue ribbon flower clip. It looked so pretty, and I felt so not. So I bought it. I didn't wear it for a few days, but when I did, I felt like I'd ruffled my feathers—in a good way. Something as small and simple as a hair clip made me feel like the beautiful person I'd forgotten I was.

What would you like to share with women to encourage them to recognize their value and to be beautiful?

God doesn't make junk. Whether you are tall or short, have love handles or no hips, wear hipster glasses or have perfect vision, can't run or can't sing, your beauty is unique to you. If you were just like someone else, you wouldn't be you. If you're having trouble finding your beauty, get a close friend to help you take a good look. Play up your best assets and learn to manage what you can't change. Be patient—good always wins in the end.

Thank you for sharing the joy, Lindsay! 

For more Questions of the Heart you can visit my own answers to Questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and those from  Monica, Melinda, Emily, Anna, Tess, and Rachel.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love reading your thoughts! I respond mostly by e-mail so make sure you're not a no reply blogger!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...